Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Matnog-Allen Link

MATNOG, SORSOGON, PHILIPPINES

ALLEN, NORTHERN SAMAR, PHILIPPINES



The Landmark (Photo from my previous trip)



Inside the Ferry Terminal (Photo from my previous trip)



A view of the Port of Matnog and the ferry boats


I arrived at the Port of Matnog around 12MN

The ferry at the Port of Matnog departed around 130AM and arrived at the Dapdap Port of Allen (Allen has another port named Looc) at around 315AM. The travel time was 1 hour and 15 minutes. They say that other ferries can travel faster (45 minutes) or slower (2 hours). Both ports are very near the jeepney terminal, approximately less than a kilometer away. The jeepney terminal stations the ride to Catarman (northeast bound) and Calbayog (south bound). You can walk from the port to the jeepney terminal or ride the tricycle (3-wheeled motorized vehicle) or the pedicab (a bicycle with a side car for passengers). The usual fare for the pedicab is PhP5/head. It seems from the set-up of the local pedicab, it can accommodate 3 persons (probably 3 locals). But since I arrived at the port at early dawn, I took a tricycle and paid PhP20



The pedicabs racing their way to the Allen Jeepney Terminal



I planned to go to Biri Island first. In order to go there, I must go to the town of Lavezares, Northern Samar where boat trips to Biri are present. Since it was already Good Friday, I fear that no trips may be available. But I was lucky enough to catch the one and only trip to Catarman. This jeepney will pass through Lavezares. The fare was PhP20/head, for a distance of 9 kilometers. The travel time was around 20 minutes. The full fare to Catarman was PhP60/head, for a distance and travel time of 45 kilometers and 60 minutes, respectively.



2 comments: